The school was named after E. T. Aldridge (1817-1888) who was the first resident in the old township at Baddow. He originally came to this area in 1848 to raise sheep and cattle but later opened a hotel, dealt extensively in land and had the foresight to plant sugar cane. Maryborough today proudly displays several landmarks which testify to the wealth and generosity of Mr Aldridge. His home, Baddow House (1883), is perhaps Maryborough’s best known residence.
Aldridge State High School opened in 1973 with a total of 317 Year 8 students. This opening coincided with the combining of the Maryborough Boys High School and Maryborough Girls High School into a single institution - Maryborough High School.
There were many accommodation problems in those first years, but a planned building program has provided a modern, well equipped school.
The founding principal of Aldridge State High School was Mr Alan Philp.